Friday, January 11, 2013

Harvey Mudd in China!

Guess who I saw in Beijing today? Tiffany! Admittedly, we planned the meeting, but it was still strange to see another Mudder in China. Ahh can't believe I forgot to take a picture, but if we meet again (which we should) I will. So this time I'll include pictures, but also provide some explanations for them.

Today we had our weekly oral exam and skits, our oral was one part lesson recitation (We covered three lessons this week, our teacher picked one, and then we recited with an outline to help), one part report on the topic "What differences do American and Chinese elders' lives have?" Here is my feedback sheet, hopefully next week I'll study enough for an A or A+ :)

My roommate(Katherine or 高琳 and I eating baozi ! It's pretty amusing to go out to eat with a chinese friend and speak chinese, because we get a lot of unashamed stares.
Morning run in the park!

More views! It's very cold. 

冰糖葫芦- Apparently, a hawthorn encircled in candied sugar. Pretty good! The vender tried to sell it to me for 5块but my roommate got him down to 3.
We also tried to cook, but we only had a electric stove, and the bottom of the pots were pretty thin, so the bottom of the pots was glowing red for a portion of this adventure. But we made it out alive, and ate pretty well. Don't know how much cooking I'll be trying to do from now on though :)

That's it for now! 


8 comments:

  1. Would it be reasonable to buy a decent set of pots? After all, you'll be there for awhile and want to do more cooking... could be worth it. Those morning photos look frigid, and you're making me feel guilty for not running more while in London. Then again, I sincerely hope you've been getting more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm contemplating it.. I'll have to haul them to Hangzhou, but if I don't get them here, I'll get them there for sure! Ahh enjoy London, I'm a little jealous:) I do recommend running though, it's such a nice way to see a city (assuming one doesn't get lost), provided you brought sufficiently warm clothes. I think this is the most sleep I've ever gotten while studying Chinese, which may be why it seems to be going so well... :)

      Delete
  2. Whatever you and the roommate were eating looks good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baozi! (Steamed bun with veggie filling) and some soup and cold veggie dishes. So good, all for 23块,less than 4 dollars!

      Delete
  3. It looks cold. I'm glad you are getting a very head start on oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally invested in some decent cookware first thing when I went abroad... and some good baking stuff! Which turned out to be very handy both for personal enjoyment and making friends, but I guess if you don't have an oven that could be a problem. Do you have an oven? I also second the comment about that food looking good... jealous you can have such good looking stuff cheap ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. for 100% sure no oven, even the word for oven is a little awkward. I think very few dishes are baked, so no one has a need for one. I was hoping to find one, but I think I need to make some richer friends to find one :) The food situation is actually so much better than I had dreamed of. So much good cheap food. And so many vegetables! Why don't I usually eat this many vegetables!

      Delete