Friday, May 31, 2013

Adventures continue!

Ahh it's hard to believe, but only 3 days left until I'm back in the States. Needless to say, my feelings are mixed, but for now a catch-up post!

Delicious strawberry smoothie! It gets really hot here sometimes, which means my erhu classes are positively sweltering, so after class sometimes I go to this shop for a delicious cool beverage. 


I made cinnamon rolls with my roommate! Here they are baking. While we were making them my roomie was really confused, but once they were on the pan she recognized them :) 



We also made Baozi! But we didn't have a steaming apparatus, so we constructed one out of chopsticks. 


Unfortunately, when we were making dough, we didn't exactly have a recipe, so the dough ended up rather flavorless. My roommate thought adding ketchup might help, but it didn't 


This is a picture of our last Language Table meal. Delicious items all around.


And then it was my Birthday! So I had erhu class (since it was a Friday), and the new song for that day was "Happy Birthday"! Which meant I told my teacher, so then the receptionist suggested we all take pictures together, so we did! Which is good, since for my last class (tomorrow... ) I think I'll be too saddened by the thought to take smiley pictures.


My teacher and I!


My best friend from high school had told her mom (who lives in Shanghai) that I was in the area, so her mom invited me to come stay with her for the weekend, but since time is ticking, I could only stay Saturday->Sunday. So I was off to the train station early Saturday morning. It was super hot and muggy, so I figured I'd buy flowers for her mom when I got to Shanghai (at a flower shop I'd found near the subway station). After a sweaty bus ride in strange morning traffic, I decided to splurge on the faster train to Shanghai (1hr not 2+) so after waiting in line for awhile (people kept arguing that they weren't given the ticket they wanted) I was off! Once at the train station I transferred to Line 2, for another hour, but it was air conditioned and all, so not bad. Mama Yu was too on the ball for me to sneak over to get flowers- she called me while I was still on the subway with 30 min left, she was already waiting at the subway stop for me! After a very warm reception, we dropped my stuff off at her lovely house, and then went to see the sights and eat delicious things!


I got a speedy tour by car!


We imbibed delicious things at this place!


Lime(?) Tea! Iced! With honey. 


A fuzzy building.


We went to Din Tai Feng for a late dinner! The menu is really different from the one in California. 


Outside Din Tai Fung.


Tour of Shanghai by night! Mama Yu even pulled over so I could take better pictures!


On Sunday we took pictures of me throughout the house- me in the guest room!


My time in China has improved my ability to take selfies, but still need some practice. 


More furniture picture


We went to a supermarket which thad many sorts of items from other countries, including my 2nd favorite sandwich compliment, Sun Chips!


and we took more pictures of me 


I took more pictures of food! This is their cheese selection. It's like I'm in America already!


Dorset Granola?!


My favorite Ginger Ale!!?!


And then we got what was possibly the most delicious Brunch I have ever eaten. After I was bestowed with many food items to bring back with me, we headed off to the subway and I started my ride back. Mama Yu was so nice to me! I had the best time in Shanghai, and I hope to repay the good times some day. 


And then it was finals week! Not much happened, we did make burritos, including hand made tortillas, after an epic quest to find cheese. So tomorrow we have our graduation ceremony, I have my last erhu class, and then Sunday is packing and all, Monday morning 3hr bus to Shanghai airport, then the flying back starts! 

1 comment:

  1. What great sights and eats--amazing blog that I will miss. Maybe it will not end...?
    Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete